Monday, May 27, 2013

A Design Museum in Lisbon. Portugal


If you are ever in Lisbon, you have to visit this museum. This gem of a place was pointed out to us by Paolo who  mentioned that people don't seem to mind it unless they are really into design.

I love design so I made it a point to come back after our walking tour. 


The MUDA is right in the middle of the city. It's a FREE (yes, free!) museum that showcases a timeline of iconic products. It's curated very well.


Peppered thoughout the display maze are boards of text listing events that occurred the same time as the design breakthrough. These details puts a historical perspective into each product.


Going through the displays is like taking a actually taking a design course. It brought back memories of my classes at PSID.


I wasn't able to take too many shots of the text display, although I wanted to do so for later reading. Read some details about this museum from this Lisbon website.


The second floor is dedicated to fashion, but I spent so much time downstairs with the furniture that I didn't have enough time to go through it thoroughly.

And higher up in the third floor was a temporary exhibit. It was a tad avant-garde for me with giant hanging paper clip things in a deconstructed space.

Lastly, there was also a temporary jewelry exhibition in the basement which I know my sister would've loved to see. Now I can't even tell her what I saw because I looked at one or two display cases and then went back up to see the furniture pieces again.

I'm not sure if the vaults in the basement were part of the temporary temporary exhibit or if it was part of the building.


I went into the toilet and was pleasantly surprised to see the attention to detail. Even the toilet had a display.


If you find yourself in Lisbon, don't miss this museum. It's conveniently located in the center of town.

MUDE, Design and Fashion Museum
Rua Augusta, 24
Lisbon
PORTUGAL
Telephone: (+ 351) 21 888 61 17 / 23
E-mail: mude@cm-lisboa.pt
 
Admission: Free of charge
Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 6pm (Last entry: 5.45pm); Closed on Mondays
Getting to the Museum:
Metro: Terreiro do Paço or Baixa Chiado stations
Tram: 15, 25
Buses:  711, 745, 794,36, 44, 714, 732, 759, 760, 781,782

No comments:

statcounter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...